1. Which of the following is NOT paired with the proper classification?
2. Will a precipitate form when aqueous solutions of Ca(Cl3)2
and AgNO3 are mixed? If a precipitate does form, identify the
precipitate and give the NET ionic equation for the reaction.
3. Which is the oxidation number of arsenic in K3AsO4?
4. A graduated cylinder is filled to the 12.0 mL line with water. A
solid with a mass of 14.52 g is placed in the graduated cylinder and is
completely immersed in the water. If the density of the solid is 11.2
g/mL what will be the new volume reading on the graduated cylinder?
5. Which one of the following compounds is NOT a salt (ionic solid)?
6. The reaction of 5.0 g of fluorine with excess chlorine produced 5.6
g of ClF3. What percent yield of ClF3 was obtained?
Cl2 + 3 F2 ---> 2 ClF3
7. The percent manganese is potassium manganate, K2MnO4
8. Determine the simplest formula for a hydrocarbon if the complete combustion
of a sample produces 5.28 g of CO2 and 1.62 g H2O.
9. What mass of ZnCl2 can be prepared from the reaction of
3.27 grams of zinc with 3.30 grams of HCl?
Zn + 2HCl ---> ZnCl2 + H2
10. Which of the following name/formula pairs is INCORRECT?
11. The specific gravity of commercial nitric acid solution is 1.42 and
it is 70.0% HNO3 by mass. Calculate its molarity.
12. Which of the following properties of I2 is a physical
13. Which of the following does NOT have the same number of grams
of carbon as 45 g of methane, CH4?
14. What volume of 0.130 M HCl solution will just react with 0.424 gram
of Ba(OH) 2?
2 HCl + Ba(OH) 2 ---> BaCl2 + 2 H2O
15. Balance the following equation with the smallest whole number coefficients.
Choose the answer that is the sum of the coefficients in the balanced equation.
Do not forget coefficients of "one."
RbOH + H3PO4 ---> Rb3PO4
16. Which of the following compounds would have an electronic arrangement
most similar to NCl3 in terms of the Lewis picture of bonding?
17. Which of the following electron configurations is INCORRECT?
18. Identify the INCORRECT statement.
19. Which of the following compounds does NOT violate the octet
20. In constructing the electron dot formula of HOCl,
21. The number of completely empty atomic orbitals having a quantum number
of n=2 in ground state nitrogen atom is:
22. The GENERAL trend as one moves from left to right across a
row of the periodic table is that:
23. The quantum number which best describes the orientation of an atomic
orbital in space is:
24. Which of the following particles would NOT be deflected in
an electric or magnetic field?
25. Consider whether the following statements about molecular electronic
structure are true or false:
26. Predict the molecular geometry of SO3.
27. Which of the following species is INCORRECTLY named?
28. Which of the following elements has the greatest electronegativity?
29. What is the energy in kJ of 1.00 mole of photons with a wavelength
of blue light, l = 440 nm? (h = 6.6 x 10-34 J-s, c = 3.0 x
30. Which is an INCORRECT size relationship between two species
("<" means "is smaller than"):
31. A gas occupies 175 mL at a pressure of 745 torr and a temperature
of 288K. What volume will it occupy at STP?
32. Suppose you have a very tiny hole in your car tire, but don't have
the money to fix it. But you do have a choice of what kind of gas to fill
the tire with. Which of the following choices would keep the tire inflated
for the longest time?
33. A 0.220 gram sample of an unknown gas occupies 125 mL at 720 torr
and at a temperature of 357K. What is the molar mass of this gas?
34. A gas mixture contains 3.0 moles of Ne and 0.50 moles of F2.
The total pressure of the gas is 440 torr. What is the partial pressure
of F2 in this mixture?
35. Given the following reaction: 2 HgO(s) ---> 2 Hg(l) + O2(g).
Suppose 1.00 mole of HgO(s) is heated and the O2 is collected
in a vessel. What volume will be occupied at STP by the O2 produced
in this equation?
36. If an ideal gas is initially at 345 torr and a volume of 250 mL,
what will the pressure be if the volume in decreased to 200 mL?
37. What is the mass density of Xe gas at a pressure of 2.40 atm and
a temperature of 10°C?
38. The kinetic theory of gases does NOT include:
39. Which of the following statements is NOT true?
40. Real gases behave most ideally at:
41. Which of the following intermolecular forces is INCORRECTLY
assigned as the principal force in the compound given?
42. According to the following phase diagram for a substance X, which
of the following statements is FALSE?
43. Which of the following is NOT true of covalent (network) solids?
44. Chlorine has a critical temperature of 144°C and a critical pressure
of 77 atm. Under which of the following conditions would Cl2
most likely be a liquid?
45. The normal boiling point of ether is 35°C. Comparing ether and
water, at the same temperature, which statement below is TRUE?
46. The term used to describe resistance to flow of a liquid is:
47. How many atoms are considered to belong to the face-centered cubic
48. Which of the following descriptions of solid type is INCORRECT?
49. Which response lists interparticle forces (between molecules of comparable
size) in order of increasing strength?
50. The molar heat of fusion for nitrogen is 710 J/mole. How many grams
of N2, at its melting point, can be melted by 1080 joules of
1)d 2)d 3)d 4)c 5)c 6)b 7)e 8)a 9)d 10)b 11)b 12)b 13)c 14)a
15)a 16)c 17)d 18)d 19)d 20)a 21)a 22)c 23)c 24)b 25)c 26)a
27)b 28)a 29)d 30)d 31)b 32)e 33)e 34)a 35)a 36)c 37)c 38)b
39)a 40)d 41)b 42)b 43)c 44)a 45)b 46)c 47)c 48)b 49)e 50)a